Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Homework and Hospitalization: A New Beginning

I think it is about time for a new beginning. After my last blog on "Homework and Hospitalization," things have not gotten much better for me. I have slept even less, have worked minimally on homework, and find myself wishing I was better prepared during class. So, in the beginning of this week, when things started to look ugly, what did a typical day look like?

Step 1: The alarm buzzes
Step 2: No, seriously, alarm. Stop.
Step 3: OK, jeez, I'm waking up
Step 4: Today is going to be awful, when did I get to bed?
Step 5: I need to get this reading assignment done for class in an hour
Step 6: I didn't get it done, but I'll do it tomorrow, or the next day
Step 7: No, why did I not practice piano?
Step 8: Aghh... what happened to make me so lazy?
Step 9: That girl is pretty cute
Step 10: It's 11:00, at least I got half of my homework done

Would it not be a gift from heaven to have unlimited time on homework? I mean, the time would freeze when I would need to get homework done. Then, I would have time for friends, for a nice nap, and all would be right with the world. If this does not happen I will need to come up with a routine that finishes homework and gives me nap time.

I love to make music! I make songs left and right whenever I can, but that doesn't correspond with any of my homework. It might be where I spend 25% of my free time. 50% with friends, 15% with ensembles and groups, and 10% on homework.

Look, I know I need to change. I wish I could, and I sincerely want to be a student that sees school as a job. I am spending money to be here.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Pathways has lots of advice on time management.
    2. Get up at the same time every day. Seriously.
    3. You have a good idea, but I suspect your reflection on how you are using your time is what you remember. Get a planner, or just a sheet of paper with times on the side and truly keep track of what you are doing every half hour (or 15 minutes).
    4. Time is money. You need a time budget. Put yourself on a schedule and use a timer to keep track.

    Good luck. You can do it, but you are going to need to be disciplined.

    ReplyDelete